The Event arrow Profiles arrow Be Prepared
Be Prepared

Below are some tips that you might find useful in preparing for your wedding.


Marriage License

  1. The Application Form for a marriage license must be secured at the Local Civil Registrar from the city, town or municipality where either the bride or the groom habitually resides.  NOTE: You and your partner must apply together and in person. Your relatives or wedding coordinator can not file this for you.
    • You’ll probably have to pay a small fee for your license.
    • You may also have to wait 10 days before it is issued.
    • In some circumstances, you must apply in the county or town where you intend to be married, this depends on state law.

    Note:The license is valid for 120 days from date of issuance. Don’t apply for yours too early.

  2. You will each probably need to bring most of the following:
    • photo ID
    • certified copies of your birth certificates issued by the National Statistics Office (NSO)
    • certificate of attendance in pre-nuptial counseling and family planning seminar
    • parents' consent (for 18-21 years old) or parent's advice (for 21-25 years old)
    • death certificate, if widowed
    • divorce decree, if divorced
Officiant Selecting an official to conduct your ceremony is up to you and your partner.
  1. If you would like the marriage to be legal, be sure to select someone who is authorized by the city or province where you want to get married.
  2. Religious ceremonies must be conducted by a clergy member (i.e. priest, minister or rabbi).
  3. For non-religious or civil ceremonies, the ceremony must be performed by someone who has legal authority to perform marriages (a judge, justice of the peace or court clerk, etc.).

  Marriage Certificate / Contract

  1. A marriage certificate is a document that proves you are married. The marriage certificate has to be signed after the ceremony by:
    • both spouses
    • the person who officiated the ceremony
    • one or two witnesses (principal sponsors)
  2. After the ceremony, your officiant will send your signed license to NSO. You should receive a certified copy for your own files within a few weeks.

General Church Requirements

  1. Marriage License:
    • can be secured from the city or municipality hall where either the bride or the groom currently resides.
    • certified true photocopy of the Marriage Certificate / Contract, if civilly married
  2. Baptismal and Confirmation Certificates:
    • to be submitted by both parties
    • new copies with annotation  "FOR MARRIAGE PURPOSES ONLY"
    • must be secured not more than three months before the wedding date 
  3. Canonical Interview:
    • couple will be interviewed one month before the wedding date
    • to be conducted by the parish priest or his assistant
  4. Pre-Marriage Seminar:
    • normally conducted during the day of the interview
  5. Permission from bride's parish:
    • permit has to be secured from the bride's parish church if she is to get married at a different church
    • form is provided by the preferred church 
  6. Marriage Banns: 
    • has to be posted in their respective parishes for 3 consecutive Sundays
    • to be returned to preferred church after posting
    • prepare ID pictures just incase the respective parishes would ask for this
  7. List of names and addresses of principal sponsors:
    • submit one week before the wedding



< Prev   Next >



Sound Level Pro Audio

Robert Camba